English Language Tests for Private Hire Drivers
Transport for London (TfL) has announced that all new applicants, and existing private hire drivers applying to renew their licence for the first time since the introduction of this new requirement, must now meet the equivalent of a B1 English language requirement.This will include Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening. Transport for London has also set a transition time. This means new and renewal applicants will get they private hire licence but will have until the end of April 2019 to provide sufficient certification or proof of their ability to communicate in English.
Applicant from 1st of April 2017 will need to have the evidence ready at the time of applying to become a Private Hire Driver in London.
The English Language Requirement is for ALL new and renewal drivers, regardless of if they where born in the UK or have UK Citizenship.
Examples of suitable evidence
This is a list of examples of suitable evidence you can supply to prove you meet the requirement. The list is not exhaustive. The subject of the qualification does not matter as long as it was taught in English.
- UK GCSE/O level (or equivalent) certificate at grades A* to G
- UK AS-Level/A level certificate
- UK NVQ*/B-Tech/City & Guilds qualification, along with confirmation from the awarding body that the qualification provided is equivalent to GCSE or above (for example, a Blue Badge Guide qualification)
- UK BA Hons, BSc Hons degree or higher i.e. master’s, PhD
- UK HNC/HND qualification
- SELT certificate at B1 level or higher, issued by Trinity College London or IELTS showing proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening
Updated list of suitable qualifications from February 2017 for Private Hire Drivers to meet the English Language Requirement:
A qualification in English as a second language or as a foreign language English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) qualifications are designed to assess the English language skills of those who don’t have English as a first language. Different ESOL qualifications can assess different skill areas (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) within the English language.
If you have a certificate for a ESOL or English as a Foreign Language (EFL) qualification that proves proficiency in all four skill areas, your level of English may be sufficient. You will be need to provide your original qualification certificate.
Some examples of certificates that TfL will consider as proof for the English language requirements are:
• ESOL Skills for Life (Entry Level 3, Level 1, Level 2)
• Functional Skills qualifications in English (Entry Level 3, Level 1, Level 2)
• International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Cambridge English Language Assessment
• Cambridge English: First (FCE) • Trinity College: Integrated Skills in English (ISE 1)
ESOL Skills for Life (Entry Level 3, Level 1, Level 2)
Training days – every Tuesday & Saturday
Exam days- every Wednesday & Sunday
Registration, Preparation and Exam- £350
Certificate received within 10 days
Functional Skills qualifications in English (Entry Level 3, Level 1, Level 2)
Training, Registration and online Exam in our college
Certificate received within 10 days
Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to the Role of the Professional Taxi and Private Hire Driver (QCF)
This Qualification satisfies the TfL English Language requirement and the Topographical test and it is only for New Private Hire Taxi Drivers
Training, Registration and Exam in our college – every 2 weeks
Certificate received within 2 weeks
All of the 3 Options are acceptable from TfL to satisfy the English Language Requirement
Please contact us on 0203 642 8555 for FREE Initial Assessment to check your level of English.